Articles

Golovkin KO’s the Nightmare, Makes 20th Title Defense

on

GGG Knocks Out Vanes Martirosyan

Carson, (May 5, 2018)- And just like that, the Cinco de Mayo that never was came and went.

Vanes Martirosyan (36-4-1 21KO’s) signed to fight Gennady Golovkin 38-0-1 (34KO’s) on three weeks notice in an effort to save the Cinco de Mayo fight weekend from disappearing into the abyss of positive clenbuterol tests. Promising to fight till the very end win or lose the Armenian Nightmare did just that until 1:53 of the second round.

A right hand followed by a three punch left hook, right hook, left hook sent Martirosyan to the mat in a sprawled display of the Khazak fighters raw power. Martirosyan made it back to his knees but laid back down after a contemplation of receiving another blow from GGG.


“Vanes punch me a few times in first round. I think this is serious business”-Gennady Golovkin


“Now I know why Canelo was eating the meat. I’ve never been hit that hard before” Martirosyan said after the fight.

Golovkin made his 20th consecutive title defense tying Bernard Hopkins for the middleweight record and picked up his first knockout in his last three fights. Daniel Jacobs ended a twenty three fight knockout streak by lasting the twelve round distance last year.

“I feel great, like I’m back”

In front of 7,837 Golovkin definitely looked like he was back. An aggressiveness absent in fights with Jacobs and Alvarez created a buzz and vibe throughout the StubHub center that Golovkin is still the preeminent middleweight to beat.


GGG Martirosyan

Golovkin drops Vanes Martirosyan with a left hook. Photo: Lina Baker

“Vanes punch me a few times in first round. I think this is serious business” Golovkin told HBO’s Max Kellerman.

Questioned about hot contenders Jermall Charlo and Demetrius Andrade Golovkin said “I want everybody”.

The real fight everyone wants to see is a rematch with Saul Alvarez. On the previous night Ryan Garcia went the distance with contender Jayson Velez and Golden Boy Promotions owner Oscar De La Hoya hinted that Alvarez could be fighting last nights co-main event fighter Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan in what would be a major let down.

The Times Aren’t-A-Changing, They’ve Already Changed for Boxing

Advertisements

About Albert Baker

Creator/Producer/Director of Under the Hand Wraps and owner of underthehandwraps.com. Albert Baker is still the Senior US Writer at InstantBoxing.com and is based in Los Angeles.

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: The First Lady Breaks Barrier in Boxing, Wins US Debut - Under the Hand Wraps

Join in the Fight and Drop Your Comments!!!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.