Articles

Ryan Garcia Learns in Unanimous Win Over Velez

on

Garcia Wins May Have Injured Hands

Carson (May 4, 2018)- It wasn’t the quick knockout fans at the StubHub Center in Carson expected. Ryan Garcia (15-0 13KO’s) went the distance for the first time during his career in the US.

And that’s ok.

Tough contender Jayson Velez (26-5-1 18KO’s) had never been stopped and on paper was the toughest test of the young phenome’s career.  In front of 6,625 screaming fans at the StubHub Center Garcia had to switch gears and use more than a vaunted left hook to win a unanimous decision.

Opening the fight Velez pressed forward, pinning his forehead to the chest of Garcia to swarm and smother the long armed offense of the 19 year old star. One shot at a time Garcia landed as Velez bobbed and weaved his way in to pepper the body and head in combination.


Ryan Garcia Defeats Jayson Velez Photo: Lina Baker

Ryan Garcia Defeats Jayson Velez Photo: Lina Baker


Once the dust settled of the early success Velez had in the first waned Garcia started to flash laser accuracy with fast counters to the forward moving Puerto Rican, whipping Velez’s head.

One shot, two shots, then back to one shot Garcia landed, then moved and reset piling on points over ten competitive rounds that saw him tested for the first time. “I’m only 19, so it was a good experience. It taught me a lot. He was a tough guy, but I landed a lot of crazy shots.” said Garcia after winning a unanimous decision on scores of 99-91 on all three cards.

“I will learn from this experience” Garcia said.

Velez proved to be the durable veteran, never tasting the canvas. Velez gave Garcia the hardest work of his career marking up his face. “He moves well, and was able to keep up with me. He’s a great opponent, and we put on a great show.” Velez said.

Following the fight photos of Garcia’s swollen hands circulated on social media, an issue that may hold the busy fighter out of the ring for months. Having fought twice in 2018 and seven times in the last year Garcia is expected to accompany Golden Boy Promotions cash cow Saul Canelo Alvarez in his expected return in September.

 Seniesa SuperBad Rolls

Having just fought a moth and a half ago Seniesa “Super Bad” Estrada (13-0 3KO’s) returned to the ring against overmatched Amarilis Adorno (1-7). From the opening bell it was all Estrada as she moved forward peppering combinations to the body and head of Adorno in an effort to end the night quickly.

In the third a bad cut opened over the left eye of Adorno from a cut prompting the doctor to stop the fight before the start of the fourth round. “I knew I was going to knock her out at some point- I knew the ref stopped the fight because of the cut over her eye. I just kept landing my left hook aiming for her eye knowing she would give up soon.” said Estrada following the fight.

An anticipated fight between Estrada and 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Marlen Esparza has been talked for years amongst the die-hard fan base in Los Angeles. The two have exchanged harsh words on social media.


Seniesa Estrada

Seniesa Estrada wins third round TKO Photo: Lina Baker


Gary O’Sullivan wins stay busy fight

Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan  (28-2 19KO’s) turned down a career high payday against Gennady Golovkin following the withdrawal of Saul Alvarez for a positive test and subsequent suspension for banned substances. The Irishman wasted no time pummeling late opponent Berlin Abreu (14-2 12KO’s) who moved up two weight classes for the payday.

In the third round after being battered by the activity of O’Sullivan’s left hooks to the body and straight rights Abreu just spit his mouthpiece out in a look of disgust. The move prompted the referee to deduct a point after having already warned Abreu once for spitting out the gum-shield.


Gary O'Sullivan

Spike O’Sullivan Makes Abreu quit at the end of 3 rounds Photo: Lina Baker


Following the close of the third Abreu’s corner stopped the fight seeing their man was taking a beating to save him.

The theme of the broadcast sold the talking point that O’Sullivan turned down what would’ve been the largest payday for his career for a shot at Saul Alvarez for a obvious larger payday in September. During an interview with Bernardo Osuna Oscar De La Hoya indicated that Alvarez would be fighting in September no matter what and that the opponent may be O’Sullivan.

The Times Aren’t-A-Changing, They’ve Already Changed for Boxing

Advertisements

About Albert Baker

Creator/Producer/Director of Under the Hand Wraps and owner of underthehandwraps.com. Albert Baker is still the Senior US Writer at InstantBoxing.com and is based in Los Angeles.

Recommended for you

Join in the Fight and Drop Your Comments!!!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.